Allergy Standards Limited (ASL), the International standards and Certification Body (CB) for allergy labelling, today announced that the Nature Paint from Benjamin Moore have passed the relevant Certification Standards. The product will now be added to the certification product database (CPD) and will therefore be eligible to joint one or more of the asthma & allergy friendly®® Certification Programs in association with the relevant national patient advocacy group. The product will also now be findable on the certification web site and the companion app which is available in the App store and Google play.
How did the Natura Paint obtain the Certification?
This ASP:04:01 Certification Standard is targeted to Indoor Decorative Paint products that are scientifically proven to reduce exposure to asthma and allergy triggers. The Certification Standard utilizes an algorithm of proprietary and recognized scientific techniques to assess indoor Indoor Decorative Paints for their ability to reduce allergenic and irritant materials. Product samples that pass certification testing are granted a certificate stating that the particular Indoor Decorative item meets the requirements for the asthma & allergy friendly® ASP:04:01 Certification Standard. Scientific Overview of Certification Testing ASL subjects the items to both physical and chemical testing to ensure that they do not have properties that is likely to irritate both asthma and allergy symptoms in susceptible people. Different aspects are evaluated:
- The constituents of the interior decorative coating must be disclosed. This is in order to assess the product for its potential to sensitize or irritate above and beyond that which may be induced through airborne volatile organic compound (VOC) exposure.
- The interior decorative coating must meet or exceed the most stringent national or international requirements for chemicals known to adversely impact on human health and the environment.
- Exposure to airborne solvents and other irritant or toxic materials during application and thereafter of indoor decorative coatings must not exceed Certification Thresholds at the specified time points.
- Certification Thresholds are based upon the most stringent national or international requirements for chemicals known to adversely impact on human health and the environment.
- The interior decorative coating must meet or exceed the requirements of the appropriate national or international performance standards.
Benjamin Moore then obtained the certification after the products they sent for testing passed the tests and met the scientific requirements.
Nature Paint, an indoor decorative paint made by Benjamin Moore
Founded in 1883, Benjamin Moore is North America’s favorite paint, color and coatings brand. A leading manufacturer of premium quality residential and commercial coatings, Benjamin Moore maintains a relentless commitment to innovation and sustainable manufacturing practices. As their goal is to bring premium quality products to their consumers, certifying their products as asthma & allergy friendly® was a coherent step moving forward.
“This is the latest step in our long history and commitment to manufacturing green paints that are safer for your family and the environment,” said Chris Connelly, Director of Brand Management, Benjamin Moore. “With zero emissions and no harsh fumes, Natura truly is an eco-friendly paint that delivers on performance and color integrity.”
Indoor decorative paint, Benjamin Moore, Certification Standard, allergy, asthma
BENJAMIN MOORE NATURA® NOW CERTIFIED Benjamin Moore today announced its most environmentally friendly paint, Natura®, has been Certified asthma & allergy friendly®™ by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA).
asthma & allergy friendly®® Certification Program” width=”150″ height=”150″ /> WHAT IS AN INDOOR DECORATIVE COATINGS CERTIFICATION STANDARD? The complete list of standards developed by ASL to test and certify products as asthma & allergy friendly®®