What Is A Pillow Encasing Certification Standard?
Pillow Encasings that are certified asthma & allergy friendly® are tested to the ASP:02:02 Pillow Encasing Certification Standard.
The Certification Standard utilizes an algorithm of proprietary and recognized scientific techniques to assess Pillow Encasings for likely exposure to allergenic and irritant materials, both at the time of purchase and thereafter when in use. Product samples that pass certification testing are granted a certificate stating that the particular Pillow Encasing meets the requirements for the asthma & allergy friendly® ASP:02:02 Certification Standard.
Allergy Standards Ltd (ASL) subjects the Pillow Encasing to both physical and chemical testing to ensure that the Pillow Encasing does not have properties that is likely to irritate both asthma and allergy symptoms in susceptible people:
- The Pillow Encasing must provide an effective barrier to the passage of allergen
- Allergen accumulating on the outer surface of the Pillow Encasing must be removable by the recommended eradication techniques at stipulated intervals
- The Pillow Encasing must have the ability to withstand the recommended eradication techniques at the indicated frequency
- The fabric of the Pillow Encasing must be ‘breathable’ in order to ensure user comfort
- The Pillow Encasing must not contain chemicals known to trigger allergenic or irritant responses when present above Certification levels.
All certified asthma & allergy friendly® Pillow Encasings are associated with a unique certification code.