What Is A Pillow Certification Standard?
Pillow products that are certified asthma & allergy friendly® are tested to the ASP:02:01 Pillow Certification Standard.
The Certification Standard utilizes an algorithm of proprietary and recognized scientific techniques to assess Pillows for likely exposure to allergenic and irritant materials, both at the time of purchase and thereafter when in use. Product samples that pass certification testing are granted a certificate stating that the particular Pillow meets the requirements for the asthma & allergy friendly® ASP:02:01 Certification Standard.
Allergy Standards Ltd (ASL) subjects the Pillow to both physical and chemical testing to ensure that the Pillow does not have properties that is likely to irritate both asthma and allergy symptoms in susceptible people:
- The outer encasing, an integral component of the Pillow, must provide an effective barrier to the passage of allergen
- Allergen accumulating on the outer surface of the Pillow must be removable by the recommended eradication techniques at stipulated intervals
- The Pillow must have the ability to withstand the recommended eradication techniques at the indicated frequency
- The outer fabric of the Pillow must be ‘breathable’ in order to ensure user comfort
- The Pillow must not contain chemicals known to trigger allergenic or irritant responses when present above certification levels.
All certified asthma & allergy friendly® Pillows are associated with a unique certification code.