What Is A Mattress Encasing Certification Standard?
Mattress Encasings that are certified asthma & allergy friendly® are tested to the ASP:02:05 Mattress Encasing Certification Standard.
The Certification Standard utilizes an algorithm of proprietary and recognized scientific techniques to assess Mattress Encasings for likely exposure to allergenic and irritant materials, both at the time of purchase and thereafter when in use. Product samples that pass certification testing are granted a certificate stating that the particular Mattress Encasing meets the requirements for the asthma & allergy friendly® ASP:02:05 Certification Standard.
Allergy Standards Ltd (ASL) subjects the Mattress Encasing to both physical and chemical testing to ensure that the Mattress Encasing does not have properties that is likely to irritate both asthma and allergy symptoms in susceptible people:
- The Mattress Encasing must provide an effective barrier to the passage of allergen
- Allergen accumulating on the outer surface of the Mattress Encasing must be removable bythe recommended eradication techniques at stipulated intervals
- The Mattress Encasing must have the ability to withstand the recommended eradication techniques at the indicated frequency
- The fabric of the Mattress Encasing must be ‘breathable’ in order to ensure user comfort
- The Mattress Encasing must not contain chemicals known to trigger allergenic or irritant responses when present above Certification levels.
All certified asthma & allergy friendly® Mattress Encasings are associated with a unique certification code.