What Is A Mattress Certification Standard?
Mattresses that are certified asthma & allergy friendly® are tested according to the ASP:02- 15/101 Mattress Certification Standard.
The certification process uses an algorithm of proprietary and recognized scientific techniques to assess mattresses for likely exposure to allergenic and irritant materials, both at the time of purchase and thereafter when the mattress is in use. Product samples that pass certification testing are granted a certificate stating that the particular mattress meets the requirements for the asthma & allergy friendly® ASP:02-15/101 Certification Standard.
Allergy Standards Limited subjects mattresses to physical and chemical testing to ensure that the mattress does not have properties that are likely to irritate asthma and allergy symptoms in susceptible people.
The asthma & allergy friendly® certification mark is awarded to those mattresses that have been scientifically demonstrated to contribute to the goal of allergen reduction.
The mattress standard includes the following principles:
- The mattress must incorporate a layer that acts as an effective barrier to the passage of allergen into the mattress
- Allergen accumulating on the outer surface of the mattress must be removable by the recommended eradication techniques at stipulated intervals
- The mattress must have the ability to withstand the recommended eradication techniques at the indicated frequency
- The barrier fabric of the mattress must be ‘breathable’ to ensure user comfort
- The mattress must not contain chemicals known to trigger allergenic or irritant responses when present above Certification levels
All certified asthma & allergy friendly® mattresses are associated with a unique certification code.